On April 19, 2016, Dr. Joseph Altman, who discovered neurogenesis in the adult mammalian brain and received the International Prize for Biology from His Majesty the Emperor of Japan, passed away. Dr. Shirley A. Bayer, Dr. Altman’s widow who conducted research with him for over 30 years, offered to make a donation to the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS). Based on this, JNS established the Joseph Altman Award in Developmental Neuroscience (hereinafter “the Award”).
We are now calling for the 2019 Joseph Altman Award in Developmental Neuroscience.
Application submission period: from November 1st, 2018 to January 31st, 2019
• Scope of the Award: Research in developmental neuroscience at the tissue and cellular levels. The scope of the Award is not limited to phenomena during fetal or developmental stages; it also includes adult neurogenesis and its biological significance and its changes resulting from aging and diseases.
• Eligibility: As a general rule, researchers who have received their doctorate degree within the past 20 years. (Not limited to members of the Japan Neuroscience Society.)
• Supplemental Prize: 10,000 USD (Fixed amount if the Award is granted to two or more recipients.)
• Selection Criteria: Submit three articles.
• How to Apply: Applications shall be submitted to the Award website.
• Obligation of the Recipient: To make an award lecture at the Japan Neuroscience Society annual meeting to be held in the same year, that is Neuro2019, a joint meeting of the 42nd Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society and the 62nd Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Neurochemistry, which will be held in Niigata, Japan on July 25 – 28, 2019 (Economy-class tickets and an accommodation fee will be provided for the recipient if he/she is an overseas researcher and will fly to Japan).
• Deadline Date: Applications must be received by January 31, 2019
• Method of Selection and Notification of the Result: The Selection Committee will evaluate the applications to determine the recipient. The applicants will be notified of the selection results by the end of March 2019.
• Award Ceremony: The award recipient will be recognized and presented with the prize money at Neuro2019 to be held July 25 – 28, 2019. http://www.neuro2019.jnss.org/en/index.html
Application and more detail: The Japan Neuroscience Society http://www.jnss.org/en/
Altman Award http://www.jnss.org/awards/altman-award_en/